WELCOME TO OUR PARISH WEBSITE!
Saint Nicholas Cathedral is one of the oldest parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia in the
St. Nicholas Cathedral was founded in 1932 by Russian immigrants who fled the Communism that invaded their
homeland after the 1917 Russian Revolution. With zeal and faith in God, they formed a Russian Orthodox
community, bought land and built a church. Our church was consecrated by Archbishop Tikhon of Western
America on December 19, 1937, formally dedicated to St. Nicholas the Wonderworker of Myra in Lycia and
designated as a memorial to the martyred Czar Nicholas II, his family and all the Russian soldiers and people
who died defending their faith, czar and country.
Read more about History of St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral and see historical photos of the cathedral on our History page.
Subscribe to our email list, send email to email@example.com
Visit our Facebook page!
Summer Youth Camp
Summer Youth Camp For School-age Children.
From Sunday, August 4th until Sunday, August 11th in the Dosewallips State Park, WA.
Address: Brinnon, Washington, 98320 Tel.: 360-796-4415
The camp program includes: talks on the Law of God, games, arts and crafts, campfires, hiking, etc.
Cost: 295 US dollars per child.
The cost includes 3 meals a day, rental of the camp, expenses for the arts and crafts, and other expenses.
Contact: Larysa Gavrilenko (206) 321-4407 or Fr. Alex Kotar (206) 321-9432.
Click here for the registration form in PDF format.
PATRONAL FEASTDAY FOR ST. NICHOLAS CATHEDRAL - December 21 & 22
Our Parish Feast Day will be grace-filled with the presence of Archbishop Kyrill, and His Grace Bishop Theodosy. The greeting of the bishop will be at 6:00 PM on December 21st followed by the All-Night-Vigil. On December 22nd, the Divine Liturgy will begin at 9:30 AM.
June 30, 2012
COMMEMORATION OF ST. JOHN OF SHANGHAI AND SAN FRANCISCO
- With many worshippers in attendance, on the day of his memory, divine services were performed in the chapel of St. John located in the room where Vladika John reposed. In addition to the cathedral clergy, Fr. David Moser from Boise, Idaho participated in the services. On the eve, during the Vigil, confessions continued without stopping and there were many communicants at the Liturgy. At the end of the Divine Liturgy a Service of Intercession (Moliebin) was sung. The feast day was concluded with a very tastefully prepared meal (trapeza). To see pictures from the event, visit our
THE SCHOOL YEAR HAS CONCLUDED IN THE PAROCHIAL SCHOOL.
We congratulate the students of St. John Parochial School at St. Nicholas Cathedral with the conclusion of the 2011-2012 academic year. With great pomp and circumstance the commencement exercises were conducted at the Russian Center. The students were awarded with a certificate of completion of the school year, as well as a small gift. The student of the oldest class, Vadim Dolgov, received a Graduation Certificate and was especially recognized for his diligence in class attendance. The Parent’s Committee thanked the academic staff and bestowed a gift upon each teacher. The program was concluded with a concert featuring some of our outstanding standing talent. To see pictures from the event, visit our
END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR IN KINDERGARTEN.
The 2011-2012 school year for St. John’s Kindergarten has come to a close. On June 2nd were conducted the graduation ceremonies in the Russian Center. All of the students received a certificate of completion of the academic year as well as a small gift. Special tribute was given to the oldest class which is matriculating into the parochial school. The Parents Committee thanked the teacher’s staff and gave them each a gift. To see pictures from the event, visit our
March 2nd, 2012
On March 2 the Russian Church Abroad's senior clergyman, a priest of the the Holy Transfiguration Cathedral, Protopresbyter Konstantin Tivetsky, reposed in the Lord in Los Angeles at the age of 87. Father Konstantin finished the Odessa Seminary and Moscow Theological Academy where he studied in the same class with Archimandrite Ioann (Krestiankyn) and the future Metropolitan Pitirim (Nechaev). He was ordained to the priesthood in 1948 (63 years of service to the Church). He served in many parishes of the Russian Church: St. Nicholas in Hamovniki (Moscow), Saints Boris and Gleb Cathedral in Riazan, the Epiphany Patriarchal Cathedral in Moscow and Holy Trinity Cathedral in Alexandrovka (the Vladimir Diocese). Father Konstantin's last assignment in Russia before his departure to the United States was Moscow's biggest parish, All Saints Church in Sokol. In the Western American Diocese Father Konstantin served for many years at the St. Nicholas Cathedral in Seattle and in recent years – in Los Angeles. (From wadiocese.com)
May the Lord give rest to this wonderful pastor!
January 28th, 2011
Fr Alex Kotar served a memorial service to commemorate victims of the terrorist act at Domodedovo airport. Members of the parish and Student Union "Rodnoi Ugolok" were present at the service. A poster where flowers could be brought in memory of the victims remained at church until Sunday, January 30.
Terrorist attack at the airport took place on January 24. The explosion killed 35 people, more than 100 were injured. Among the victims were citizens of Russia, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Nigeria, Germany, Slovenia, Slovakia, Moldova, France and Italy.
January 23rd, 2011
Annual Meeting - After the liturgy a parish meeting was held in the parish hall to review financial issues of the cathedral. The Dean, Fr. Alex, opened the meeting with a prayer and then conveyed to the parish the difficulties involving the many accounts with which the treasurer must deal and the problems that have arose with the computer accounting program to which was transferred our church accounting. The Church Warden, Roman Eremenko, and the Treasurer, Artem Belkin, presented the financial results for the fiscal year 2009 and the budget for 2011.
January 19th, 2011
On the feast day of the Baptism of the Lord, Theophany, our orthodox community received a special blessing - in Seattle the sun shined over the Great Blessing of the Waters and snowy-white doves flew into the air with the signing: “When thou O Lord was baptized in the Jordan ……the Spirit in the form as a dove.” Fr. Alex, the Dean, along with Fr. John Calbom and Protodeacon Paul Bilibin served the Divine Liturgy which was attended by a multitude people. After the liturgy, accompanied by the singing of the cathedral choir under the direction of Gregory Kotar, the congregation processed to the ‘Jordan’ for the blessing of the waters. Under the wonderful, blue skies, during the singing the festal troparion, the children released doves into the air. After the services a holiday meal was offered by the sisterhood, under the guidance of the head sister Tatiana Bilibin. To see pictures from the event, visit our
Facebook Photo Gallery
January 15th, 2011
Children's Chistmas Program, "Yolka" - For the past nine years the production of the children’s Christmas program, the “Yolka’, produced by our school, St. John of San Francisco Parochial School, was grander, more beautiful and glamorous. This year’s production which was held on Saturday, January 15th in the hall of St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, did not betray expectations. The talented staff of our school wowed the over 300 young attendees and their parents with the electrifying program, the colorful costumes and of course the visit from Grandfather Frost (Russian Santa Claus) with his consort the beautiful Snow Princess. To see pictures from the event, visit our
Facebook Photo Gallery
October 9-10, 2010
2010 Annual Russian Bazaar was a huge success this year, especially after the great article in Sunday's
Seattle Times, which brought many people to our bazaar for the first time. To read the article and see the photos, go to
August 10, 2010
Summer Youth Camp For School-age Children was a great success! The 2-weeks camp program included: talks on the Law of God,
games, arts and crafts, campfires, hiking, etc. To see pictures from the event, visit our
Facebook Photo Gallery
News Archive >>
1714 13th Ave Seattle, WA 98122
MAKE A DONATION TO THE CATHEDRAL